Preparing for NIBRS Compliance
There are only a few months left before the nationwide implementation of the National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS), an ongoing effort to ensure a more useful standard for recording, cataloging and reporting crime.
Are you ready to upgrade your systems for NIBRS compliance by the deadline? While your agency may be dragging their feet to make the switch, now is the time to move.
What Is Holding Agencies Back?
There are several challenges that agencies face in this transition. A big concern is often funding, however, there are several other issues that must be addressed, including local policies, staff education, the impacts of non-compliance, administrative hurdles and developing new workflows and processes.
The good news is, these issues can be overcome, setting your agency on the path to upgrade, NIBRS-compliant software.
Preparing to Make the Switch
Where to start? The FBI has provided a simple outline that will ready you for the transition. Their road to compliance looks like this:
- Procure the NIBRS software/hardware that you will need to properly gather and report data
- Determine if FBI or state-specific tech specs will be used, because every agency has different requirements
- Map state statutes to NIBRS offense codes so everyone is working with a common set of codes
- Establish a records management system (RMS) capable of capturing NIBRS (this is something eFORCE Software has been providing for years)
- Procure a NIBRS-compliant RMS as soon as possible because it could take months to get everything running correctly
- Pretest data against NIBRS validation rules to make sure the systems are in synch
- Attain NIBRS certification
- Message out your successful transition to NIBRS
The FBI also provides a handy “readiness assessment” for law enforcement agencies so it’s possible to determine how far you’ve come and what you still have to complete to get fully prepared for January 2021.
We Have Been Prepping Agencies for Years
EFORCE has supported NIBRS for years and is designed to comply with all the necessary regulations while making it as easy as possible to implement and use.
Many of our partner agencies soon realize that working with an experienced service provider reduces many if not all of the risks associated with implementing a new system
At EFORCE, our solutions benefit from years of refinement and real-world evolution. We’ve helped many agencies integrate a NIBRS-compatible system with their current processes to ensure they are able to manage their records and improve data collection.
Start Upgrading Now
The January 1, 2021, the deadline isn’t very far away. With the average implementation timeline of 6-8 months, the time to change is now. Deploying and using our NIBRS compliant software is the first step to full compliance. Contact us today for more information or to schedule a demo and see our software in action.