After our friends at PoliceOne.com stumbled upon a story of an off-duty officer exhibiting some on-duty habits on a date, they posted it to their Facebook page and asked if others had experienced similarly awkward situations.
Here are 10 of their favorite responses, proving that officers are never truly off-duty. Do any of them sound familiar?
- I constantly look at people's waists and ankles. My wife knows what I'm doing but it's awkward when I do this to our waiters our waitresses and they think I'm checking them out. - Bert Estrada
- Put a seatbelt across my groceries on the front seat...just like my duty bag. - Michel Vigeant
- Do you ever sign a receipt for dinner or a store purchase, and automatically add your badge number? Cashiers are like 'What is this number?' - Joe Moore
- I will be off-duty at the store and wave at kids and smile. Their parents look at me like I'm a perv... - Art Walgren
- I always unbuckle my seatbelt about 30 seconds before I bring my truck to a stop. - Roger Dillon
- Stand to the side of the door, foot in front of any door that might open out... - Ralph Streicher
- When I retired, it took me forever to start using my gun hand for anything. After years and years of having it drilled into my head to keep my gun hand free at all times, it was hard to remember I no longer carried a gun. - Scott Roder
- My husband needs to sit with his back toward a wall so whenever we are in the middle of the restaurant I have to stop and ask him what side he wants and I stand there until he decides. - Victoria LeBlanc
- I read every license plate around me. I touch my computer screen at home...it’s not a toughbook. - Adam Christopher
- I'm retired almost 25 years and I still look at other drivers, I still look for bulges under sweaters, shirts and jackets. I still look for one pant leg hanging longer than the other. - Roy Zinkiewicz
Original article written by PoliceOne.com